Tuesday, February 16, 2016

TPACK & Tools

  • When introducing new tools into the classroom, what questions should you consider before implementation (technical, administrative, pedagogical, other)?
  • What are some of the positive attributes as well as potential barriers regarding the introduction of tools in the classroom?
  • How will you choose technologies that enhance the teaching approaches for a lesson when you are in your own classroom?
  • After learning about TPACK, what questions do you have and how do you think you can begin to answer them?


 

After watching Dr. Holliday's video and reading articles about TPACK ( https://insidetheclassroomoutsidethebox.wordpress.com/2016/02/14/creating-with-new-web-tools/ )   I have learned just how important introducing tools into the classroom, as well as how enhancing technology is for teaching.

There are many questions to be asked when implementing new tools into the classroom. To begin, I would ask if it's easy enough to understand but still challenging enough? It is easily accessible to every student and is it age appropriate? (especially as an Early Childhood major) Another big question would be how much my students would benefit and take away from it. Is there any other tool/device out there that is better? I would also have to see how well it works because teachers are already offered a limited amount of time, so any malfunctions with the device is less time a student has to learn. There are a ton of questions to ask while introducing new tools and it is so important to make sure that they are all covered in order to have a successful learning environment. 

Answering these questions also help show the positive attributes as well as potential barriers regarding new tools. Adding new tools creates endless possibilities for my students and helps expand their accessibility of knowledge. It allows students to learn using different methods and it can help students who may learn better by doing hands on activities but also can relate to students who are visual learners. There are potential barriers though, for example, it could malfunction at any time and like I said earlier, teachers are only offered a limited amount of time, so any time trying to fix a new tool is time wasted. It could also be hard to relate a new tool to every student, so I believe it is important to make sure that this tool is easily accessed by everyone as well as relates to an individuals learning needs.

First, I will choose a tool that embraces the diversity of my students by recognizing that each student comes with a different background as well as learning style. I will also choose a tool that is time efficient, it won't take too long to set up and my students will get good use out of it. 

The big question I would have to ask about TPACK is how to know which tools are best, especially with how diverse a classroom is. I could go about it by selecting a few of my favorite tools and doing them over and over myself. I could also give options to my students as well by having them pick which ones best fits them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment